Subject: UV sleeves melting

UV sleeves melting

From: Susan Green <sgreen>
Date: Thursday, January 22, 1998
We are having a problem with the UV sleeves which are around the
fluorescent bulbs (GE Trimline T8) in our special collection room.
During routine maintenance to replace flickering bulbs, it has been
discovered that the bulb and sleeve were hot, and the sleeve had
begun melting onto the bulb and fusing to it.  The lights in the
room had just been turned on, so the bulb and sleeve got hot very
quickly. When the lights are operating normally, the bulbs are cool,
and bulb replacement has been a matter of slipping the sleeve off of
the old bulb onto the new one. Has anyone had a similar experience
and information on what to do?

Susan Green
O'Keefe Library
St. Ambrose University