Subject: Glassine envelopes for storing photographic materials

Glassine envelopes for storing photographic materials

From: Giovanna Di Pietro <dipietro>
Date: Wednesday, January 21, 1998
In collaboration with Barbara Spalinger (photo conservator at the
Staat Archiv, Bern) and Sebastain Dobrusskin (Conservation Program
of the School of Applied Art, Bern) we would like to investigate the
properties of glassine envelopes (pergamin in German and French) and
their effect on the gelatin. We have noticed in the literature a
general strong recommendation against the use of glassine envelopes,
related to their chemical quality or to their hygroscopic
properties. Recently we had controversial experiences. While Daniel
Oggenfuss (diploma work at the Conservation Program, Bern) showed
that cyanotypes stored in glassine envelopes undergo a smaller
discoloration (both in the blue and in the paper) than in other
types of envelopes, we were impressed by the poor state in which we
received them. Their surface had an impressive weavy pattern.

We would like to ask which is your experience with glassine
envelopes. Has anybody observed damages or disadvantages due to the
glassine? Do you relate these damages specifically to the glassine?

Giovanna Di Pietro
Scientific Photography Lab.
University of Basel
Klingelbergstrasse, 80  CH 4056 Basel