Subject: Purchasing seamless envelopes

Purchasing seamless envelopes

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <rduncan>
Date: Thursday, January 15, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please respond directly to the author

We have a number of 10" x 14" and 11" x 14"  format film and glass
plate negatives; we would like to store them similarly to our
smaller format negatives in 3 and 4 flap seamless envelopes.  I have
contacted Conservation Resources about a custom order.  The
individual cost for the envelopes is reasonable, (under $1.00) but
the cost to make the dies for the sizes we need is prohibitive given
the relatively small quantity of items we wish to store.  The
largest sheet of the CRPP photographic enclosure paper measures 50"
x 31.75"--in order to make both 3 and 4 flap enclosures in-house, we
would need a paper that measures at least 34" in the shorter
dimension.  It is not available in a roll.  If anyone has the same
format negative and desire to store them CRPP photographic enclosure
paper 3 and 4 flap seamless envelopes, please contact me; perhaps we
could share the cost of the various dies--and therefore make the
size available to the community at large. We are preparing to move
our entire collection to a new facility in 1999, so we need to
resolve this fairly soon.  If you are interested, please contact me
off-list.

The cost for the different dies:
    3 flap (2 short, 1 long) (scored for film)
        11" x 14" =  $260.00
    4 flap (scored for glass)
        10" x 12" = $250.00
    4 flap (scored for glass)