Subject: Storing collection materials in trailer

Storing collection materials in trailer

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1>
Date: Thursday, January 1, 1998
Karen Brown inquires about trailer storage. While our experience is
limited, we can offer a few words.

First, we have found that many of the rental trailers have been
retired from road hauling because of their condition. Many we have
seen have rotten or damaged bodies and/or flooring. Finding trailers
in good condition can be a challenge, at least in our area. You
might considering leasing a trailer still in operation rather than
one turned out to pasture. Although the cost would be higher, you
might find it easier to get it in good condition.

Second, you never know what has been in the trailer before you got
it. Many have been used used for transfer of hazardous materials,
and at least some of these occasionally leak. Look for suspicious
stains or discolorations; unusual rusting; odd odors. One approach
might be to line the trailer with poly, the same as some trucking
companies do when transporting hazardous materials (they, however,
typically use a very thin poly, I would think a 6-mil would be
minimal).

Third, keep in mind that trailers offer only limited security (an
issue that was mentioned in the original post). Although the doors
can be relatively solid, the flooring is usually 2-inch planking and
the side walls are often aluminum with little else. These trailers
aren't hard to get into from any number of different directions.
But, if you are putting in heat (at least it seemed that the trailer
was to be heated), maybe it wouldn't be too hard to also include
something like passive infrared security? Hope this adds to the
observations.

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.