Subject: Air purification systems

Air purification systems

From: Richard L. Kerschner <shelcon>
Date: Wednesday, December 18, 1996
A local salesman is pushing Alpine Air Purification Systems made by
Alpine Industries.  Alpine claims that their purifier "neutralizes"
gas and exhaust fumes, smog, tobacco smoke, dust, pollen, chemical
fumes, mold and mildew, and bacteria.  Great, huh? According to the
manufactures information, these machines generate positive and
negative ions and transmit them on a radio frequency through walls,
ceilings, and floors. *They also generate ozone*.  I can see an
application for such machines in some of our less than ideal storage
areas if they would reduce dust, and possibly the chance of mold or
mildew.  However, I am very skeptical, mainly because of the ozone
which I understand is a powerful oxidizer.  Can anyone advise on
this subject?

Richard L. Kerschner

                 Distributed: Monday, December 30, 1996