Subject: Storage of ostrich plumes Pest control

Storage of ostrich plumes Pest control

From: Jerry Shiner <70252.763>
Date: Saturday, December 14, 1996
Larry Hutchings <history [at] infolink__morris__mn__us> writes

>I'm looking for a creative (and, naturally, inexpensive) way to
>store loose ostrich plumes and feathered caps. We are located in a
>ninety year old brick building with virtually no climate control.
>Temperature is fairly constant, but RH ranges seasonally from about
>10% to 45%.

and Yoram Haviv <yoram [at] loop__com> writes

>Do you know of a *reliable* way to control powderpost beetle
>infestation in a small item of furniture (clocks)?
>I believe anoxic storage could provide an inexpensive solution for both
>Yoram Haviv's clocks and Larry Hutchings' collection of feathered items.

Packaging in an oxygen-free environment provides protection from
dust, insects, smoke, water, pollution, and rapid changes in RH
levels . The oxygen-free interior slows or halts most chemical
changes, and will kill insects, larvae, and eggs.

There are many conservators now using this technique for insect
control--it is poison-free and seems to not stress the objects being
treated (just the nasty little freeloaders.) It is also relatively
inexpensive (especially if used with a nitrogen purge.)

We can supply barrier film, custom-made bags and oxygen scavenger.
Please note our new web site at http://www.interlog.com/~keepsafe
has our catalogue in electronic form, or contact us for a catalogue
by snailmail.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                Distributed: Tuesday, December 17, 1996