Subject: Kirby vacuum cleaners

Kirby vacuum cleaners

From: Jerry Shiner <70252.763>
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 1996
A comment on Todd Ellison's search for a better vacuum cleaner.  It
has been my experience that  in both vacuuming and extracting
solvents, that the distance from the object to be "treated" and the
design and placement of the "head" or fume hood are far more
important than the size of the air handling unit.

I once saw some diagrams that illustrated how quickly the motion of
air is "damped" by both its natural elasticity and resistance, and
the mathematical "cubing" of the volume of air that must be moved as
the distance from the fan or pipe increases. This effect is in
addition to the problems of surface tension at the object itself.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                 Distributed: Friday, December 13, 1996