Subject: Phase box rivets

Phase box rivets

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 1996
Re: An apology if one is needed

I am sorry if my genuine attempt to respond to an issue on the Cons
DistList has given rise for any concern, I honestly thought I had
acted properly enough.

When I read that a brass rivet was available from a company in
England I was most interested, we presently import all the rivets we
use from America and any cost saving we can make without effecting
quality is a premium.

Using the stock number given in the original E-mail message and the
phone number I tried to contact the UK office direct only to find
that the telephone number was incorrect.

When I did contact the UK office the information I posted on the
list was *exactly* the information I was given by the company in the
UK, repeated verbatim by the sales representative I spoke with from
the office in Baltimore, USA.

I could so easily have not made the posting, after all if as has
been suggested I was acting out of some vested interest I would be
acting against my own interest letting people know the correct
number for such a company.

However like many of the well known product vendors around at
Conservation Resources we try to provide a quality service, if we do
not offer something and we know of a company that does then we will
try to pass that information on even if the company is a competitor.

In hindsight perhaps it was naive of me to think that providing
fellow recipients of the list with a correction to information
posted was a beneficial service I should pursue.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England

                 Distributed: Friday, December 13, 1996