Subject: Kranse

Kranse

From: Sharon Connell <libsac>
Date: Tuesday, December 10, 1996
I have a query on behalf of a paper conservator friend who has no
e-mail. It regards objects known as kranse (other spellings appear
to be kranz and krantze according to the Oxford English dictionary
although my friend also suggested krants, cranse, crance and
craunce). He has the opportunity to conserve some of these and wants
more information before proceeding.

Apparently, they're garland-like structures consisting of a wooden
armature covered with white paper (the paper is cut out for a
decorative effect). They had a funerary purpose being hung in church
on the occasion of a young woman's funeral. I'm not sure how
widespread the tradition was but it stretches back a long way.

Condition wise, the six objects John's mentioned are damaged to
various degrees: some of the wood has been bored by insects and
crumbles to the touch, the paper is dirty  and parts of the
structures are out of alignment.

The question is, does anyone have any historical information,
experience of conserving such things or advice as to how he should
approach the consolidation, cleaning and repair?

John Duffy
Conservation Dept.
Nottingham Archives
Castle Meadow Road