Subject: Fire suppression systems

Fire suppression systems

From: Espen Hernes <espenh>
Date: Monday, December 9, 1996
Has anyone gone through a survey looking at fire-fighting systems and
their effect on museum objects?

Considering fire extinguishers (water, CO2, chemical powder. others),
sprinkler and watermist-systems,  what effect do they have on
various types of materials/objects when used. How easy is it to
clean the objects afterwards (sticking to surface, penetration) when
the extinguishing media has worked together with the
fire/smoke/other compounds.

Museum objects can be iron, wood, textile, glass, ceramics, paper,
photos, paintings/painted surfaces.

I am not interested in the extinguishing capacity (which is well
documented), only the effect on objects and surfaces. The question
looks quite extensive, I am hoping for a short answer with some
references. Yours sincerely,

Espen Hernes

                 Distributed: Monday, December 9, 1996