Subject: Stillage for vehicles

Stillage for vehicles

From: Alison Wain <awain>
Date: Monday, December 9, 1996
We have been looking at the problem of moving larger vehicles in the
Science and Technology collections around without having to roll
them around on their tyres. Making individual movable stillages for
each vehicle would be prohibitively expensive.  Someone mentioned to
me that they had heard of a new system which was inflatable--you
roll it under your vehicle, inflate it to lift the vehicle, and then
just roll the whole lot around to where you want to go Then place
jacks under the vehicle, deflate the stillage and roll it out.  This
sounds (regrettably) too beautiful to be true. Has anyone else heard
of such a system and would they know of a supplier or anywhere I
could get more information?

Alison Wain
Objects Conservator
Museum of Victoria