Subject: Phase box rivets

Phase box rivets

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Monday, December 9, 1996
Having just spoken with Pearce Tandy Leather Craft in Baltimore and
at Northampton, England I thought people might like to note that
they do not make a solid brass rivet. They tell me that ref 1275 is
a gilt coated rivet with a brass finish colour on the outside.

They also tell me they do not produce a solid brass rivet.
Furthermore the Northampton office (callers please note the correct
number is +44 1604 407177) tell me that their ref 1275 is actually a
nickel metal with either a gold or a silver coating on.

Trying to tell brass finish nickel coated items from those made of
solid brass is no easy task though,one does rely upon the
producers/sellers information and sometimes even that can be hard to
interpret.

Solid brass rivets may well be more expensive too than nickel coated
ones but unlike such inferior qualities the solid brass versions
will not be subject to rust.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England