Subject: Solvents for epoxy

Solvents for epoxy

From: Adrienne Newell <kalesse>
Date: Sunday, December 8, 1996
I have found dichloromethane applied to a repaired break for ten
minutes to one hour-depending on the thickness of the join-
effective as an epoxy remover,with an added note. With HXTAL-NYL1,
as the epoxy swells it can cause further  breakage of the glass it
is adhering . To avoid this I have found this procedure effective:
lighter applications of dichloromethane followed by careful
mechanical removal of the softened epoxy, until the pieces will
separate. The HXTAL  join is often stronger than the glass or
crystal it is adhering , so avoid manually helping separation.

Adrienne Newell
Conservator
Kalesse Studios
Portland, Oregon