Subject: Pacific Silver Cloth

Pacific Silver Cloth

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 1996
exhibition cases:  Have you done tests to see if it works?  My
recollection (and it is always difficult to be sure that information
about commercial materials is correct and/or still relevant) is that
Pacific cloth contains finely powdered silver and works to take up
sulphur and therefore keep it off the object if the object is
completely wrapped.  There are other materials which have vapor
phase inhibitors in them and are meant to be used in cases.  The
last time I remember inquiries about these materials (such as
"Silver-safe"), the VPI was fairly toxic;  I don't know if it is
still made.  Terry Weisser at the Walters had tested them--you
might contact her.

B. Appelbaum

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 1996