Subject: Pacific Silver Cloth

Pacific Silver Cloth

From: Jane Williams <jwill>
Date: Monday, December 2, 1996
Barbara Rice posted a question for Susan Stock at the ROM who was
wondering about using Pacific Silver Cloth in displays.  The Walters
Art Gallery has used it successfully to inhibit tarnish on
unlacquered silver on display for over ten years.  Terry
Drayman-Weisser could provide specifics on their experience.  For
instance, it is important that the case have a good seal.  The
conservators at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, I believe, have
tried a variety of other sulfur scavengers in display cases.  Also,
the conservators at the Brooklyn Museum (E. Pearlstein, L. Bruno, I.
Lev) are currently testing a number of different sulfur scavengers
including silvercloth, activated carbon and MicroChamber products to
compare their effectiveness and cost-effectiveness.

Jane Williams
Objects Conservator
San Francisco, CA

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 1996