Subject: Solvents for epoxy

Solvents for epoxy

From: Laura Reutter <lreutter>
Date: Monday, December 2, 1996
Although I have not specifically tried to dissolve Epotek 301-2
epoxy, I have had success reversing Hxtal epoxies and quick-curing
"5-minute" epoxies. Some solvents to try include acetone, methylene
chloride, and commercial "cured-epoxy dissolvers".  The latter two
especially are very toxic--use only in a fume hood. I saturate
cotton wool with the solvent and poultice the repair. I also wrap
plastic film over the cotton to retard evaporation. Reversing the
epoxy may take minutes, hours or days of exposure to the solvent,
depending on the amount of epoxy and thickness of the join.

Laura Reutter
Associate Conservator of Objects
Indianapolis Museum of Art

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 1996