Subject: Storage of posters

Storage of posters

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin>
Date: Tuesday, November 26, 1996
Sue Dunlap <sdunlap [at] ACS__WOOSTER__EDU> asked:

>Our special collections department has a large collection of WWII
>posters. We currently have them stored flat in map cases, with
>several posters in each drawer.  Some of them have been put in
>acid-free folders, which are very expensive to buy that large.  The
>posters range in size from 18 x 24" to 22 x 30"  My question is,
>what is the best way to house these?

There are a number of considerations here. Is this collection going
to grow? If so, what sort of long-range plans do you have to buy
more map cases? If the collection is static, do you have enough room
to house these posters (i.e. any basic preservation housing will
expand the collection)?

Given that, you should feel fortunate that you have map cases at
all. Many have posters or maps that exceed the size of commercially
available map cases (or if that's not the problem, then lack of
money or space for new cases is a frequent inhibitor).

In terms of the folders, I'm not exactly sure which type of
"acid-free folder" you're talking about, but there are many options
out there. For the sizes you've cited, I wouldn't go any lighter
than a 2 ply mat board or 20 pt lig-free box board. One thrifty
approach one could take is assembling folders oneself. Let's say you
have 50 posters, order 100 sheets of some sort of suitable archival
board, adhere them together using gummed acid-free linen tape.

The housing possibilities are many. Before giving any sort of firm
recommendation, one would have to look at the materials and storage
arrangements in person.

George Leake
Conservation Dept
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 27, 1996