Subject: Stamps

Stamps

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Sunday, November 24, 1996
Mary Jo Davis <newarkvt [at] aol__com> writes

>I am working for a clinet on a collection of
>Federal duck stamps.... are the inks stable?...can the stamps be
>removed?

I had some  practical experience conserving philatelic material most
of it was of very poor quality concerning the paper, the printed
stamps and the inks on the envelopes. I strongly suggest you
consider  your material the same way I did and make sure to test
every step you make, though sending a recommendation for any treatment
over the web is somehow problematic, first I would address you to
one of my publication concerning philatelic material and
conservation treatments "Constructing a Mini Vacuum Unit and Using
it  for Philatelic Materials." Restaurator,Vol.14, 45-56, 1993.
Concerning removing stamps from envelopes, it is a rather drastic
action since there is much importance to the original stamps glues`
however, if it is necessary, a wet blotter the same size and shape
as the stamp, can be placed simultaneously on the stamp and on the
back of the stamp location than secure it with mylar sheet for ten
minutes or so, the stamp can easily removed since the glues are water
base gums, remember that the stamps can not suffer prolonged washing
the printed colors  can easily fade out, blotter washing is more
recommended, I used to protect the printed colors with fixatives
on a base of  microcrystalline wax etc. Good luck,

Michael Maggen
Senior Paper Conservator
The Israel Museum

                 Distributed: Monday, November 25, 1996