Subject: Deterioration of color microfiche

Deterioration of color microfiche

From: Anita Shaughnessy <anita.shaughnessy>
Date: Thursday, November 21, 1996
We have some color microfiche that is developing a pinkish hue. As I
understand it this is an inherent problem with color film, and the
only way to stop it is cold storage.  The microfiche was produced in
1979.  This seems a very short time to have this much degradation.
Short of putting a freezer in our microforms area is there any other
way of halting or slowing down the process?  Has anyone else
encountered this problem?  And what was your solution? Should I just
recommend that the microfiche be replaced? Thanks for your help,

Anita Shaughnessy
Preservation Officer
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19717

                Distributed: Thursday, November 21, 1996