Subject: Rembrandt etchings

Rembrandt etchings

From: Cobus van Breda <ngvcons>
Date: Thursday, November 21, 1996
We are presently examining and treating our collection of etchings
by Rembrandt van Rijn in preparation for an exhibition in September
1997. Amongst our collection are a number of his etchings on
oriental papers. We have taken Beta-radiographs of some of these
papers, revealing a number of interesting features in their
structure and formation. We are also considering a more detailed
analysis, particularly fibre identification. Obviously any sampling
would be limited to literally a couple of fibres from the verso.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has or is presently
conducting similar research.

Cobus van Breda
Robert Raynor Conservator of Paper
Conservation Department
National Gallery of Victoria
180 St Kilda Rd
Melbourne Victoria 3004
Australia
+61 3 9208 0348
Fax: +61 3 9208 0249

                Distributed: Thursday, November 21, 1996