Subject: Odor in textile collection

Odor in textile collection

From: John Boral <b2bdirect>
Date: Thursday, November 21, 1996
Zu-Chun Liao <zchun [at] nmns1__nmns__edu__tw> writes

>In my museum, the clothing and textile collections get strange
>smell.
>Originally, I guess, possibly the problem
>is from the storage cabinets. However, those cabinets are from
>Interior Steel Equipment Company. This company has good reputation
>in the world; therefore the paints on the cabinets are not supposed
>to be the problem.

During a recent visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York
city, I visited the new Ratt Textile Center. It's brand new and
truly a wonderful facility with 30,000 sq. feet  of some of the
finest textile storage cabinets available. Most all interior storage
in cabinets is innovative and hand crafted to precise individual
specifications.

However, they also have experienced a strange odor off-gassing from
the new Interior Steel cabinets. They believe the odor originates in
the gaskets and adhesives used to install the gasket materials.
Interior Steel has replaced much of the material and the odor has
abated.

For more information I would suggest you contact the manager of the
facility, Giovanna Fiorino-Iannace, at 212-650-2988 or Toma Ficher
at 210-650-2310.

John Boral
B2B Direct Inc.

                Distributed: Thursday, November 21, 1996