Subject: Stamps

Stamps

From: Mary Jo Davis <newarkvt>
Date: Friday, November 15, 1996
I am working for a client on a collection of Federal Duck Stamps and
Prints. Both items are traditionally framed together with a small
area in the bottom of the window mat cut to show the stamp which
corresponds to the print.

The collection has suffered greatly from contact with poor-quality
framing materials and overexposure to light.  The duck stamps have
been adhered (with their own adhesive) overall to either the print
itself or some form of secondary support.

I have not worked on stamps other than rehousing.  Are the inks
stable or do they tend to be soluble?  Can the stamps be removed
easily with humidification? Is it best to remount them with the
glassine stamp hinges or can Japanese tissue and wheat paste be
used?  Does touching them in anyway decrease their value and should
they just be rehoused?

I would welcome the chance to speak with someone who is
knowledgeable about stamps and their care and treatment.  Thanks,

MJ Davis
Paper Conservator
Washi
PO Box 232