Subject: Adhesive for ceramics

Adhesive for ceramics

From: Stephen Koob <koobs>
Date: Tuesday, November 12, 1996
Jaime Mesalles de Zunzuegui <recicla [at] mad__servicom__es> writes

>Larry Hutchings <history [at] infolink__morris__mn__us> writes
Can someone recommend an adhesive for ceramics?

>There is an old formula to stick metal, ceramics, bone, nacre, and
>glass: mix 10 parts of gutta-percha and 12 of pure "colofonia",
>something that comes from the distillation of trementine. You will
>need to make this mixture with heat. Once its completed mixed, use
>it quickly. It is reversible.

This is in reply to Jaime Mesalles de Zunzuegui, who recommended an
adhesive (for ceramics) made of gutta percha and "colofonia".

I would recommend that this archaic adhesive *never* be used on a
ceramic.  In addition to having poor application properties (high
viscosity and need to be applied hot), gutta percha adhesives age
very poorly over time, with considerable shrinkage and
embrittlement.  In my experience, gutta percha becomes virtually
insoluble.  I doubt that the "colofonia" (probably "colophony")
addition is of much help.  Please stay away from old recipes.

Stephen Koob
Department of Conservation and Scientific Research
Freer Gallery of Art
Smithsonian Institution
Washington DC 20560
202-357-4880 x276