Subject: Processing and access policy for special collections

Processing and access policy for special collections

From: Meredith Curtis <mcurtis>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 1996
I am in the process of writing a processing and access policy of
our special collections.

The questions arise when a book from our special collections is
needed for our reserves shelf.  It is important to note that the
reserves shelf in out library is an "open stacks" type of access,
but the materials do not circulate and that full time students have
24-hour access to the library (hence to the reserves shelf as well).

    1.  Is it common to place special collection materials on
        reserves?

    2.  If so, are they accessed differently (i.e. must be used in
        presence  of library staff and retrieved by staff)?

    3.  How are they marked as "Reserve"

    4.  Would we leave the special collections materials on the
        reserves shelf over night (unsupervised)?

Meredith Curtis
Salzmann Library/St. Francis Seminary
3257 S. Lake Drive
St. Francis, WI 53235