Subject: Cigars

Cigars

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Thursday, November 7, 1996
This unusual enquiry comes by way of a collector of antique cigar
humidors anxious to preserve for future generations rare (unsmoked)
cigars. The private collection which number many hundred humidors
presently in varying states of restoration is regularly viewed
causing a problem to the cigars.

The question I pose on the collectors behalf pertains to what might
be used to maintain a constant RH of 40 to 50% that would not
present problems if shielded by way of a separator of some kind from
the cigars on display.

The humidor boxes are relatively shallow, up to a maximum of 2
inches (50 mm). My first thought was to the likes of Art-Sorb but the
problem of the units continual opening (2-4 times daily, every day)
worried me.

The collector has implied that he has been told of a device used by
American collectors which encompasses a very small sealed water
reservoir and some chemical which maintains RH at a set level,
perhaps a silica gel ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The antique collection
comprises mainly cedar wood constructed airtight boxes.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England

                Distributed: Thursday, November 7, 1996