Subject: Odor in textile collection

Odor in textile collection

From: Zu-Chun Liao <zchun>
Date: Tuesday, November 5, 1996
In my museum, the clothing and textile collections get strange
smell. Those collections are from Southwest China's minority and
Taiwanese aboriginal people. Since I got the job (June 4 this year)
until now, the smell is always there. I have used the soda powder
and silica gel to solve the problem, and  gradually the smell has
turned weak. However, it still is there. What kind of test I can do
to deal with the problem? Originally, I guess, possibly the problem
is from the storage cabinets. However, those cabinets are from
Interior Steel Equipment Company. This company has good reputation
in the world; therefore the paints on the cabinets are not supposed
to be the problem. Then, I looked at the records of those
collections, all of them haven't been treated by pesticides. Is
there anybody who can give me suggestion?

Zu-Chun Liao
National Museum of Natural Science
Division of Collection and Research
1 Kuan Chien Rd.