Subject: Storage of coins

Storage of coins

From: Sue Maltby <smaltby>
Date: Sunday, November 3, 1996
Larry Hutchings <history [at] infolink__morris__mn__us>

>I don't find storage materials for coins in any of my archival products
>catalogs. Any suggestions?

I can highly recommend the holders made by Taylor Made. The Taylor
Made flips (the term coin collectors use to describe holders with
two pockets--one for the coin and one for the curatorial
information) are made from Mylar and are nicely made.  They recently
came out with a flip that has a Mylar insert in which the coin is
placed prior to sliding it into the holder.  These are particularly
good for small coins that otherwise tend to slide around inside the
pocket.

A word of caution, a number of stamp/coin supply catalogues sell
holders that they refer to as "safe".  From my experience (I carried
out a research project on coin holders while at CCI), *caveat
emptor*.  A few of the "safe" holders that I tested were actually
PVC. Some catalogues claim that they have "PVC-free Vinyl"?  What
they really mean is that they have PVC holders that are
unplasticized.  I would recommend that one ask for a sample before
buying a large number of holders.

Susan L. Maltby, Conservator
(& Coin World columnist: "Preserving Collectibles" (formerly
entitled "Saving Money")

                Distributed: Thursday, November 7, 1996