Subject: Edison phonograph cylinders

Edison phonograph cylinders

From: Mark Clarke <markey>
Date: Saturday, November 2, 1996
Sue Dunlap <sdunlap [at] acs__wooster__edu> writes

>A fellow employee asked me how to safely remove mold from old Edison
>phonograph cylinders made out of wax.  I have never even seen one of
>these type of cylinders.  Any one out there have some advice?

Regarding the information contained in the cylinders: A paper was
presented at Electronic Imaging and the Visual Arts 1995 in which
the authors imaged the cylinder surface and were able to extract the
sound successfully by image processing.

    3D Measurement and modelling in cultural applications
    Gerd Stanke and Lothar Paul
    stanke [at] gfai__fta-berlin__de
    paul [at] gfai__fta-berlin__de
    Reprinted in Information Services and Use, Vol. 15 No.4 1995,
    pps 289-301

Mark Clarke
+44 171 277 1633

                Distributed: Thursday, November 7, 1996