Subject: Painting lined with painted fiberglass

Painting lined with painted fiberglass

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 1996
I have a 19th century portrait in my lab that has a treatment I have
never seen before and would be interested in any available
information. The painting is lined onto Fiberglas which has been
painted on the reverse (that is, the side away from the painting)
with aluminum paint. The paint was applied before restretching.  The
adhesive may be Beva, but I am not yet sure because the person who
restretched it had a very hard time making the tacking edges stick
and may have added materials other than the lining adhesive. The
owner remembers a treatment in the 1950's to early sixties, but I
have not been able to find any records.  The stretcher is also a
type I have not seen:  it has aluminum triangles in the corners of
the stretcher that are adjusted with set screws. I would appreciate
any hints as to where or by whom this treatment might have been
done.

Barbara Appelbaum

                Distributed: Thursday, November 7, 1996