Subject: Dust cloths

Dust cloths

From: Susan Lee Bechtold <sue.bechtold>
Date: Friday, November 1, 1996
Michaelle Biddle <mbiddle [at] wesleyan__edu> writes

>There are 3 commercially available dust cloths appropriate for use
>in libraries and archives.  They don't leave a residue behind, are
>lint free, and yet the cloths attract and hold dust.
>Both One Wipe and Stretch 'n Dust  have been okayed for use in
>libraries and archives by  L.C. and the National Archives.

The National Archives, who listens attentively to these
conversations, feels we must set the record straight.  We tested
only 4 materials for dust cloths.  The Dust Bunny, Mighty Duster,
Dottie Dustcloth and L'angel Brand Diapers.  Our test involves
leaving the cloth weighted against a white piece of paper and
checking to see if anything is transferred to the paper.  Our
records show that the Mighty Duster lost some of it's yellow color
to the paper, but no oily residue.  Dottie Dustcloth left an oily
residue on the paper deemed undesirable.  And only the Dust Bunny
and the L'angel Brand Diapers passed our tests.   I must add, the
results obtained can only safely be applied to materials made at the
time the ones we tested  were (1993 for the first 3 and 1994 for the
diapers), or if the manufacturer can assure you that the process
hasn't changed.

                 Distributed: Friday, November 1, 1996