Subject: Separating acrylic paint from polyacrylate sheeting

Separating acrylic paint from polyacrylate sheeting

From: Daria Keynan <dkeynan>
Date: Thursday, October 31, 1996
Sian Parry <lhm [at] iafrica__com> writes

>Durban Museums have a large (6'x 4') mixed media (chalk & oil pastel
>& acrylic) work on paper, glazed with perspex sheeting. Some acrylic
>pigments have stuck to the perspex. Any advice on how to separate
>the perspex from acrylic pigment would be gratefully received.

I have had to do this several times and find that local application
of heat (or cold) is effective. A slow continuous heat source such
as heated sand bags is effective and simple to use. Alternatively
ice packages are an option but acrylic will become brittle if frozen
so the heat is better. I think there is a description of both hot
and cold methods in the 1994 Tate conference proceedings 'Modern
works, Modern problems'.

Daria Keynan

                 Distributed: Friday, November 1, 1996