Subject: Adhesive for ceramics

Adhesive for ceramics

From: Laura Reutter <lreutter>
Date: Tuesday, October 29, 1996
Larry Hutchings <history [at] infolink__morris__mn__us> writes

>Can someone recommend an adhesive for ceramics? The artifact (a
>bowl) is significant for our collection, and was broken when an
>exhibit mount failed

Acryloid B-72 acrylic resin is probably a good choice.  It can be
mixed 1:1 (wt./vol) in acetone to make adhesive strength. It is also
available in tubes from Conservation Materials (I think) if you
don't want to bother making your own.

If you just want a quick fix (not recommended), you can buy Duco
cement or HMG adhesives at hardware stores, but these contain
cellulose nitrate and will yellow and grow brittle over time.  B-72
is better due to long-term stability.

Laura Reutter
Associate Conservator of Objects
Indianapolis Museum of Art