Subject: Adhesive for glass

Adhesive for glass

From: Laura Reutter <lreutter>
Date: Tuesday, October 29, 1996
Larry Hutchings <history [at] infolink__morris__mn__us> writes

>Can someone recommend an adhesive for clear glass? The artifact is
>not particularly significant, but it would make sense to repair it
>and not risk the loss of any pieces.

There are several stable epoxy resins available. One I often use is
Hxtal two-part epoxy.  It should be available through Conservation
Materials.

To use it, clean the glass fragments thoroughly, especially the
edges, with acetone.  Tape the fragments in proper alignment with
narrow strips of very sticky tape (I use clear packing tape). Don't
cover all the cracks.  Mix up adhesive as per instructions and spot
it along the cracks with a wooden stick.  The adhesive will flow
into the cracks, often making them disappear. This epoxy cures in
several days (a warm hot box will speed up the process to one or two
days).  Remove excess epoxy from the surface before it totally sets
up, using acetone on swabs.

                Distributed: Thursday, October 31, 1996