Subject: Clay tablets

Clay tablets

From: John Woodhouse <jwoodhou>
Date: Thursday, October 24, 1996
At our institution The John Rylands Library we have a number of
small clay tablets stored within individual small boxes. A number of
the tablets have either cracks/fissures or small items that have come
adrift . We could re-attach the small pieces that have broken off
quite easily as we can readily see where they are from. Can someone
suggest the best fixative/adhesive for undertaking this
re-attachment, and also if the same fixative could be employed to
penetrate into the cracked areas to just give some tentative fixing
in this at risk area. All answers and comments would be greatly
appreciated.

John Woodhouse
Head of Preservation and Photography
John Rylands University Library of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PP
+44 161-275-3733
Fax: +44 161-273-7488