Subject: Dust cloths

Dust cloths

From: Tom Brown <tomb>
Date: Wednesday, October 23, 1996
Our building manager asked me if there are any recommended treated
cleaning cloths that can be used for wiping books.  In Gaylord's catalog
there is a cloth called "One-Wipe Dust Cloth."  Is this okay to use on
books to wipe off dust? Are there any or any others that are okay to use?

    **** Moderator's comments:   This is becoming a FAQ. If someone
    would put together a reasonably thorough answer, we could mount
    it in CoOL. There aren't so many questions in conservation that
    lend themselves to "Frequently Asked Questions" files, because
    of the complexity of the materials and processes involved, but I
    think this is one that might work. If anyone would like to
    volunteer to put together such a document, let me know. I good
    place to start would be to browse through CoOL for a anecdotal
    info and a few literature refs that have been mentioned, then to
    spend some time with AATA.

Tom Brown
Acting Head of Preservation
Preservation Photographer