Subject: Edison phonograph cylinders

Edison phonograph cylinders

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Friday, October 25, 1996
I wish I didn't feel like I had to say this again, but a couple of recent
queriers would benefit by looking at AATA, most easily the 15-year
Cumulative Index, and, in addition, a glance at the archived distList.

Sue Dunlap <sdunlap [at] ACS__WOOSTER__EDU> writes

>A fellow employee asked me how to safely remove mold from old Edison
>phonograph cylinders made out of wax.  I have never even seen one of
>these type of cylinders.  Any one out there have some advice?

I have never handled one of these, but I would suggest revisiting
the several responses from a few months ago on the question of stuff
that looks like mold on wax.  What was observed may of course
actually be mold, but treating it like mold if it is something else
could be a major waste of time and effort if not conservation
disaster.  There were, I recall, several references cited to
articles about wax deterioration.

                 Distributed: Monday, October 28, 1996