Subject: Security and electronic storage media

Security and electronic storage media

From: Mark K. Lucas. <icmkl>
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 1996
As we proceed into the age of electronic formats being made
available to the public, many questions arise as how to make this
information available to the user, in our case involving CDs.  The
patron has the option of taking the information home to listen to
and/or view it on their own computer. Here is our dilemma.  The
library patron is notified by a spine-enhancer label on the book
telling them that the book contains a CD.  The patron then can check
the CD out with the book, from the Circulation desk before exiting
the building. The CD is inclosed in a tyvek pocket which can be
inserted into a fixed pocket inside the back cover of the book.

My question is:  How does one prevent the theft of the CD itself? Of
course we know who the patron is, when they check the item out...but
is that enough? In our library, there has been a suggestion to put a
label on the CD itself. Another suggestion was to use a permanent
fine point "Sharpie" marker to write the call number on the inner
circle of the CD.

How are other libraries handling the labeling of circulating CDs? Is
it a common practice to put a label on a CD? What if the label falls
off inside of the CD-rom changer?  Also, will the label effect the
spin rate of the CD, making it off-balanced? Will "off-gassing" from
a permanent marker have an effect on the "read" of the laser eye and
compromise the structure of the CD, from which it has been made of?
Do we have to impose heavy fines to the user so that these thefts
don't occur?  These may seen like silly questions, but many have
been brought up here at our library.  Your suggestions are very much
welcomed,

Mark K. Lucas
Conservation Technician
Arizona State University
Hayden Library-Preservation
Tempe, Arizona. 85287-1006

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 23, 1996