Subject: Inergen

Inergen

From: Marjorie Kevlahan <marjokev>
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 1996
We have a Special Collections dept.. which stores rare books, historical prints and negatives, including glass in 2 connecting
vaults walled off from the rest of the dept. A consultant suggested
the Inergen gas suppressant system to replace our dry pipe water
system. Thus preventing water damage. Does anyone have any
experience with this system or knowledge pro or con?

We only have the manufacturer's brochure at the moment, I understand
that it suppresses fire by removing oxygen from the room and is
non-toxic, Would the removal of the oxygen still allow the fire to
smolder? Any information would be much appreciated.

PS I should mention that the building is new as is the present fire
suppressant system.

    **** Moderator's comments:   This has been discussed briefly in
    the Conservation DistList but additional information would be
    welcome. See DistList Instance: 6:53, April 10, 1993,
    See also the Disasters pages in Conservation OnLine
        http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/disasters
    especially WAAC Newsletters.

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 23, 1996