Subject: Propolis

Propolis

From: Allister C. Guy <allister>
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 1996
I wonder if any conservators on the list can help.  I am a beekeeper
and have been asked by some of our government conservators if I
could supply them with propolis.  As you will most likely be aware,
propolis has antibacterial properties which the bees make use of.

I was curious why the conservators would want propolis and they told
me that it was for repairing Mediaeval wax seals.  They wanted to
know if I have any knowledge of the use of propolis and wax.  I do
not--neither have any of the 800+ beekeepers on Bee-L.

Propolis is normally used in health products in complimentary
medicine and in varnishes (for violins, etc).  Only a few beekeepers
have collected propolis--it is rather a curiosity. (Most consider it
as a pest as it is difficult to remove from our gloves, overalls,
car-seats and the front parlour carpet.)

Can anyone help with information or directions as to where to get
information? Please reply to me directly as I am sure the list will
not want to be bothered with such an obscure subject.

Thank you in advance,

Allister C. Guy

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 23, 1996