Subject: Surveys

Surveys

From: Sophia Pauk <sophia.pauk>
Date: Thursday, October 17, 1996
In 1990 we carried out a damage survey of 3000 books in our library.
Many aspects of the books were measured, such as surface pH, fold
number (hand and M.I.T.), lignin content, type of paper, year of
publication, discoloration, etc.

We are planning to test about 500 books again next year (exactly the
same books tested in the first survey). These 500 books were
published in the period 1840-1950, because one conclusion of the
damage survey was that, generally, books from this period are in the
worst condition. We expect, that we have the greatest chance to find
any changes if we test these books (if any changes can be found, at
all). The new tests will involve: surface pH and fold number (hand
and machine).

Is there anybody who has any useful suggestions or has any
experience in performing a repeated damage survey and wants to share
it?

Sophia Pauk
Koninklijke Bibliotheek
(National Library of The Netherlands)