Subject: Microwave ovens

Microwave ovens

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Wednesday, October 16, 1996
Aron Beebe <beatcrazed [at] aol__com> writes:

>Is there problem with using microwave to heat glue or rice paste?

I don`t see really any problem using microwave for re-heating
pastes, I am practicing this already six to seven years, re-heating
starch pastes in microwave saves time and it is very simple and
easy. I always freeze the remains of my paste and whenever I need
some starch it will take few minutes to re-heated it. I would be
more careful about using microwave for gelatin glues as sturgeon or
others, overheating protein glues can result with breaking their
adhesion quality and they can change their color and get darker.

Michael Maggen
Paper Conservator
Israel Museum

                 Distributed: Monday, October 21, 1996