Subject: Removing adhesives from books

Removing adhesives from books

From: Fran Durkin <fmd>
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 1996
Here at Pennsylvania State University many kinds of solvents have
been tried for removal of adhesive from books.  This adhesive is the
remains from the removal of bar code labels and/or call number
labels.  The solvents either will not remove the adhesive or the
fumes are very strong. If you know of a solvent that is not harmful
to books that can remove adhesive with no fumes, would you please
supply me with this information?  I have contacted many vendors with
no luck.

Fran Durkin
Preservation Services
Pennsylvania State University
W14 Pattee Library
University Park, PA  16802
Fax: 814-863-7393

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 16, 1996