Subject: Freezing wood

Freezing wood

From: Dominique Rogers <do>
Date: Sunday, October 6, 1996
Leslie Bone <boneles [at] aol__com> writes

>In the conservation literature you will see that this treatment is
>not recommended for inlaid furniture but I have treated some masks
>with inlay and have experience no problems.

Just a note to add to Lesley Bone tips on freezing. I have used the
method on a pair on Syrian bath clogs (cedar inlaid with
mother-of-pearl and strips of tin assembled with animal glue).  I
used the same bagging method and same type of freezer than Lesley,
but kept them in the freezer at -25C. for only 48 hours took them
out and let them thaw at room temperature for  15 hours and then
back in the freezer for another 48 hours. It killed the pests and
had no visible structural problems. (This is 3 years ago and there
are still no visible damage.)

Dominique Rogers
Ganapati Kumari
Pinmill, Ipswich, IP9 1JW