Subject: Silica gel

Silica gel

From: Barry Knight <barry>
Date: Friday, October 4, 1996
George W Cannon <gwc4 [at] cornell__edu> writes

Barry Knight <barry [at] eng-h__gov__uk> writes

>It's important to be aware that standard silicone sealants out gas
>acetic acid as they cure.  Standard silicone sealants should only be
>used in a sealed case if the sealant is allowed to cure for several
>days to a couple of weeks.  A better bet is a "neutral cure"
>silicone.  These are available through major glazing supply houses
>such as C. R. Lawrence. Check with your local glass shop.

George Cannon is quite right: I forgot to mention that it is
important to use a silicone sealant that does not emit acetic acid
as it cures.  The one I used, which is available in the UK although
I don't know about elsewhere, is Ambersil sealant 1040N.

Barry Knight
English Heritage
London

                 Distributed: Saturday, October 5, 1996