Subject: Bookbinding terminology

Bookbinding terminology

From: Cor Knops <corknops>
Date: Friday, October 4, 1996
Sue Dunlap <sdunlap [at] acs__wooster__edu> writes

>My acquisitions manager asked me what the term "otabind" means.

Otabind (originating from Finland) is an industrial binding method
which is performed by a few companies (a.o. Hexspoor in Holland).
Another name for the same product is Bazobind (used in Switzerland).

The main characteristics are:

    *   The use of cold vinyl-glue. Most "normal" paperbacks are
        glued with hot-melt-type glues. After being glued a piece of
        paper is attached to the (still wet) back. This is done so
        the book can move on in the process; it takes much longer to
        dry compared to hot-melt.

    *   The cover is *not* attached to the back of the book. Instead
        it is glued on the endleaves with a narrow stripe of glue.
        This results in a binding which lies open very flat, just
        like a well-bound hard-cover bound book. It is used for
        catalogue's, rail road time-tables and computer manuals.

Because it is very difficult to explain in words I've put a little
drawing on a sub-page on my web-site. For those of you who are
interested see

    http://www.worldaccess.nl/~corknops/otabind.htm

Cor Knops
Knops Boekrestauratie
Restoration and Conservation of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
+31 46 529643