Subject: Spandex

Spandex

From: Barbara Cumberland <Barbara_Cumberland>
Date: Thursday, October 3, 1996
I am searching for information regarding Lycra (i.e. spandex). I am
told by the manufacturers that it is a polyurethane polyether or
polyester polymer but I would like to know if there are typically
any other chemicals added in Spandex fabrication.  I would also like
any information regarding spandex's stability and the possible
degradation products of this material as I would like to use it to
cover the interior supports for moccasins which will be on exhibit
for several years.  Also, I would appreciate information regarding
any other fabrics which have a smooth "slick" surface and can be
stretched easily.

Liz Brown

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 3, 1996