Subject: Spine erasures on bookbindings

Spine erasures on bookbindings

From: John Boral <b2bdirect>
Date: Monday, September 30, 1996
Regina R. Sinclair <sinclair [at] blue__weeg__uiowa__edu> writes

>... our Marking unit is routinely requested to erase
>(with an electric eraser) as many as five or six lines from the
>spine of a run of books in order to make title changes.  Nothing
>that we have tried to adhere to the spine to cover words we are
>directed to erase from the spine works without fail on all covering
>material.

I would suggest covering outdated or incorrect spine label
information with foil-back labels available from most commercial
Library catalog houses. The foil-backed labels completely cover
for buckram cloth books. See my recent article in Abbey Newsletter
(August 96 edition).

Good vendor sources are Gaylord Bros. Syracuse NY, Demco Inc.,
Madison Wisconsin, Brodart Inc., Williamsport Pa. and the Highsmith
Company, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin. If you need address information,
please Email me at- b2bdirect [at] aol__com. Most vendors will send you
some free samples to try first.

John Boral
B2B Direct Inc.

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 2, 1996