Subject: Removing rust stains

Removing rust stains

From: Laura Binns <dougb>
Date: Sunday, September 29, 1996
Recently, a pair of WWI Nursing Sister Uniform cuffs were given to
me with a request to remove the corrosion from the buttons and the
rust stains from the white boiled cotton cuffs.  My supervisor does
not know how to do this and I, as an intern, do not either.  I have
looked in several texts but am still unsure of how to remove the
iron corrosion stains.  The cuffs are of boiled cotton and it is
felt that immersion in any type of detergent solution would destroy
the stiffness and shape of the cuffs.  Can the stains be removed?
And if so, than how?  This is a request from the curator and I must
at least attempt this.

Laura Binns (Intern)
City of Hamilton Museums

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 2, 1996