Subject: Freezing wood

Freezing wood

From: Zu-Chun Liao <zchun>
Date: Sunday, September 29, 1996
I have several artifacts which are infested. They are wood and
bamboo materials. I am thinking to use freezing method to treat
them. However, I am a little bit worry about the influence of
freezing on my artifacts. Is there anybody could give me suggestion?
Also, one of my friend suggest me that when objects come to museum,
the first step is to freeze them for a week to prevent pest problem.
I am not sure if the suggestion is right or wrong. Could any body
give me suggestion? In addition, if the storage areas are infested,
the first step is to remove the infested artifacts, and then try to
find where the problem is. However, how could I clean the
environment by non-toxic method?

Zu-Chun Liao
National Museum of Natural Science
Division of Collection and Research