Subject: Chalk as primary pigment

Chalk as primary pigment

From: James Martin <james.s.martin>
Date: Saturday, September 28, 1996
Thank you for the responses received on-list and off-list to my
query about the use of chalk as a primary pigment in Eastern art
(Conservation DistList Instance: 10:29). I now would like to broaden
the scope of this query to include Western and Far Eastern painting.
Again, I am referring to the use of chalk (calcium carbonate with
included coccolithic fossil remains) as the primary white pigment
used in paint layers.  Continued appreciation for your assistance.

James Martin
Director of Analytical Services and Research
Associate Conservator of Paintings
Williamstown Art Conservation Center

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 2, 1996